Tuesday 4 January 2011

Research Diary 04/01/12

Hours Carried Forward from Last Session: -3 hours (none done first 3 days of year)

Hours & Work Undertaken: 5 hours - redrafting philosophy of research essay. 

Hours Carried Forward to Next Session & Job List: +2 hours - reflect on 2nd draft of essay, start condencing reading for lit review. 

Notes:
After not finishing the re-draft of the essay at home (too many other distractions), I finished this evening and have sent it to a couple of friends to have a look at. 

Found sorting the philosophical considerations behind my research a little tough.  You're not meant to fit your methodology or paradigm to the methods or the research questions but in a sense I feel I have had to after not sorting this to start off with.  I suppose this is part of the learning process in doing a major research project.  Next time I will sort the lit review and methodology ahead of actually starting the research. 

Sort of got hear around the whole epistemology and ontology question (I am an interpretivist and social constructionist, on the whole) but need to work out how I express that. 

Style wise - a little muddy I suspect in places.  Tried to get it that each section (epistemologival, ontological and political considerations) to one author/thinker.   Almost there on the first and last but not really got to the bottom of who the key thinker in social constructionism is, yet.  It would be tidier and more pleasing stylistically if I could simplify the structure. 

Tomorrow I will have a break on this and look at the lit review.  Need a change of task and just a quick data-basing my reading will make a nice contrast and help me focus on what I am reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment