Friday 16 December 2011

Revising Research Questions: Academically not Personally Challenging

I spend a lot of my time revising research proposals, making sure that questions are realistic and correctly framed.  I find myself regularly saying they are too large or too grand or too many.  Questions need to be realistic, acheivable and engaging.  So, I can hand out the advice but when it comes to my own for the PhD it has not been as easy. 

I had 6 of them which included reviewing far too much literature and to be frank were full or jargon.  Leading by example, as you can see. 

And yet, we had a very painful tutorial back in November on how they need reframing and I have spend a lot of time revising them.  I also added some definitions of the terms which I am using.  All good but I found the whole thing incredably personal and challenging: I now know how my academics feel but I need to learn that it is my argument being attacked and not me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment