Wednesday 28 April 2010

Shirley Valentine

Saw "Shirley Valentine" at the Mernier Chocolate Factory last night; a strong performance by Meera Syal but was helped no end by an excellent script.  It looks at an individual trapped in their everyday life (in this case a woman but I think the theme is broader than women's liberation), insanity (is this the world around us or the one we construct?) and experiences beyond our norm (in this case, an international experience). 

This gave me two thoughts which impact on my research.  Firstly, how much the world has changed since the play was set in the 1980s.  Travel, the freedom of the individual and education have widened the world around us.  The impact of internationalisation and, in my case, international education (whether formal like Erasmus Mundus or informal as in the holiday in this play) are important about allowing people to think about their identity and the role in the world.  Issues which are forgotten in everyday life and in our education system. 

The second thought was a personal one on where I want to be.  Do I feel trapped by my job?  Do I miss the time to do research?  Do I want that (international) academic career?  What about that trip across the Baltic and Nordic States?  Life traps people by accident - we all need food and something to excite our grey matter - but I do not want to regret not doing things.  And one of those things is finally becoming Dr. Christopher! 

No comments:

Post a Comment