Friday 18 June 2010

From the International to the Homely

I am now on the train from Chester to Wrexham after a delayed journey due to a train being stuck in Rhyl earlier this afternoon.

I am meant to have spent the journey working on the paper for the conference on Thursday. Instead I have written up a couple of quotations by the excellent Jane Knight who has written the most straight forward and engaging definition of internationalisation I have read in a while. I think it aims at a process driven definition and I think there is a relational and output definition that could be created to complement her work.

I then read the initial Research Excellence Framework submissions for my school at University of Westminster. I am not hugely impressed but there are another 2 or 3 years yet and I had better not say more on here but at least I am prepared for the meetings on Monday morning.

At the end of this journey, I am listening to Nigel Hess and watching the countryside go past. As I crossed the Chester walls and race course I heard the end of ‘Shelter Island’ (the first movement of his ‘East Coast Pictures’) which felt very much at home. As I cross the Cheshire plains and see the Welsh mountains as I drift towards Wrexham and home, the second movement has started: ‘The Catskills’ which depicts a journey through those mountains and ends with a majestic view of New York (the final movement). With the sun setting, it feels like the fanfare which ends the piece and the sunset are welcoming me back home.

How funny that evening – like my career – which is defined by the international has been marked by music and views of home. But I am glad for it. Have a good weekend at home or wherever you are.

PS
And as a little taster for you (though shame there is not a better recording on YouTube):

No comments:

Post a Comment