Thursday 15 July 2010

Tutorial Day Revisited

OK, it has been a week but have been thrown somewhat into a spin after the tutorial and have sort of been running away from doing anything with it since.  The summary of the tutorial which I wrote for the supervision report was as follows: 

Main topics/issues discussed and action points agreed:

o Work was rushed, not what expected and failed to sit comfortably in any section of the final thesis. Work failed to reflect nuance or discussion and its style could be more in line with academic writing.
o A broader literature needs to take place, covering a number of areas including the Europe, Student Experience, Policy Formation and Coopeartion etc.
o Specific issues to do with issues raised and language used were discussed.

Basically,  they wanted a draft of the lit review chapter.  I did a paper on internationalisation.  They did not want me analysing the documents and stats I had found.  I analysed away.  They did not want me drawing conclusions about new models of international relations.  I came up with (I thought) an interesting new model.  They did not like my attempt to be informal and witty.  I did. 

So, as with all tutorials, I went into a spin and felt that I was not getting anywhere.  Each time I do this I feel like it is one step forward and two back and one just has to be positive. 

Therefore in the last week I have broken my own rule of doing an hour's research daily.  I need to produce a chapter for the autumn but first there is an article which needs re-editing and an essay to be written so I might distract myself with that for a few days so I can write them on holiday. 

Instead of research reading on the train, I have read two books which I will review else where but have felt a little better for that; both relate to the play 'Holding the Man' which I saw a couple of weeks ago but that can feature in another blog. 

I feel a little better for writing this, I have to say, and have got it all off my chest.  Still feel a little lost, as do many of my colleagues after a tutorial, but I will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment