Friday 23 September 2011

Waiting and Working

Submitted my methodology chapter a week ago today and am now awaiting for the outcome. It is a little odd waiting for the reply and the outcome. Will they like it? Am I still miles off?
In the mean time, this weekend I am working on a draft of the Literature Review to be submitted by 2nd October. Not easy to know how much it should contain, what I should be saying in it and whether it is analytical enough. I am trying to weave the theories of social capital and soft power through but in such a way that the entire chapter builds to the discussion (and adoption) of these standpoints but without overlooking or rushing other arguments. This really is a little harder than I would have expected.
It is also about adapting a style that, for me, both tells a story and guides the reader simply through (like journalism) but also allows for discussion. I am aiming for the style of Peter Scott - himself a former journalist - in his writing about Higher Education. Some academics are said to be 'hard to read' or 'challengin'; whilst not wanting to reduce academic levels, what is the point in not trying to make sure the writing can be accessible and thought-provoking for as many as possible.
So whilst waiting for the feedback on the one chapter, working on another, it is clear that there is a long way to go in terms of being a confident, accessible and engaging academic writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment