Thursday 6 May 2010

General Election - What I'm Looking Out For.


After much fear, we now have internet access here in France.  Not the most logical way as a 20m cable is needed to link next door's garage, through our window and into my computer (see pictures left).  But it does mean that I will be blessed with David Dimbleby's and the BBC's company here in France tonight, for which I am very grateful to the owners for pleasing this political/news geek.  So what am I looking for:

1. The consituencies the family have voted in: Croydon North (me), Clwyd South (Parents) and Bury St Edmunds (Bro).  The first two are safe Labour and the last safe Conservative but these will be indicative of a wider vote even if they do not change hands.  Has Labour lost ground?  Have the Tories strengthened?  Have the Lib Dems had any sort of break through? 

2. The Turn Out:  Will the debates and the chance of a close election have raised the turn out from 61% in 2005 to even 71.4% in 1997 or higher?  My guess - up a few per cent but those who were interested in the debate were not necessarily new voters but old geeks like me.  And what about the impact of postal voting.  It increased the turnout in 2005 - will 20% still use Royal Mail and not the Polling Station? 

3. The Popular Vote: For once this is going to be more closely examined than ever before.  Partiularly if the Lib Dems come second in the popular vote will this provide momentum for a proportional system? 

4. The Margins:  Will Barking go BNP, Brighton go Green and Wire Forest remain 'Save Kiddeminster Hospital'.  What about the nationalist parties who could be powerful? 

5. The Result:  My guess would be a stronger Tory vote than expected (possibly with a small majority with support from others they had the momentum), a good showing for the Lib Dems (best numbers ever though not as strong as after the first debate) and disaster for Labour.  But who am I to know? 

Above all, I predict some blurred eyes and some indecisive results!  Happy Election Night! 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're all sorted. Have to say, I was a bit worried when I realized you were in France for election night. It didn't sound like a Christopher Grinbergs sort of a thing to do. Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, you know me too well. Had a good night though the last couple of days have been fascinating and today may be even more so. Must chat soon.

    ReplyDelete