Sunday 9 May 2010

Where are you from?

At church we were asked by a visiting speaker whether we felt ourselves to be in Croydon (as in a distinct town/borough) or in London (of which Croydon is a part).  I feel myself to be part of London - as did two thirds of the congregation - for the simple fact that my work and social life are mostly centrally-focussed and Croydon is where I live and shop.  The remaining third found themselves to be in Croydon and these, mostly older people, probably see their lives as focussing on the town. 

This reminded me of a questionnaire I filled in about my perception of nationality and identity after my Erasmus year.  We were asked if we felt more or less British/European/Global Citizens at the start and end of our programme overseas.  In my case, I felt more European and still do.  In the same way, I am asking in my research how students' perceptions of their identity and nationality change.  There will be an increased sense of 'global citizen' I can tell you now. 

But should we be looking for a single answer?  Just because we are from one place (Britain) does not mean we can't have ties to another (Europe). Just because I see myself as being based in London doesn't mean I don't say home is in Croydon?  Identity - like so many things - isn't a clear black/white issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment