Wednesday 26 May 2010

Changing (And Explaining) The Methodology

Just been to an interesting lecture this evening.  It wasn't on the subject I was expecting (Researching Higher Education) but was actually a little more useful as it looked at Research Methodology. 

Prof Penny Jane Burke explained how her methodology had changed and reminded me that methodology should fit the project and not the other way around.  The methodology needs to reflect my changing methods and positions, not simply be a litterature review.  So when I consider the removal of one of my research questions, I need to think why I wanted to do that not simply because the methods were not answering but about what sort of questions I want answered. 

As a final thought, she seemed to infer I was a Positivist.  Not sure if I am (or quite what that is) but I am a 'glass half full' sort of chap (particularly if it is filled with G&T) so does being positive count?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment