Saturday 8 May 2010

Shirley Valentine Moment

Well, after seeing the play last week, I almost had my own Shirley Valentine moment. 

On the motorway heading north from Strasbourg, in the first sunshine in a week that had been exceptionally wet, I suddenly remembered why I loved France. 

Yes, it has its faults (bureaucracy, mixed record on investment in universities) and its 'more relaxed lifestyle' is over-hyped.  But the buildings on the edge of the motorway reminded me of where I was in Grenoble.  The sense of living in a world, a culture that is not quite your own.  I've done it, I've lived abroad so I know the reality is different.  At drinks the previous night, someone said I had enough French to work in France.  Possibly but it isn't accurate enough.  Whatever the practicalities, for that moment, I wanted to be there, to live there and not just for a holiday.  Time to start thinking about the next job move?

No comments:

Post a Comment